At present, there are currently over 6,900 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 97 COVID-19 related deaths across Australia. With these numbers expected to rise, managing the spread of the virus has never been more important.
COVIDSafe, a contact tracing app approved by the Australian government, is apowerful weapon in our fight against the COVID-19. COVIDSafe is specifically designed to protect Australians against COVID-19 by quickly alerting you if you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus.
There is no better time than now to join the fight against COVID-19 by downloading and registering with the app to ensure that you are protecting not only yourself, but your loved ones and fellow Australians.
Please note: Android devices that are 4+ years old are not compatible with the COVIDSafe app.
What is COVIDSafe?
COVIDSafe is an app that combines the power of technology and contact tracing to help slow the spread of COVID-19 and contain outbreaks. Its main purpose is to protect Australians against the virus while giving our government the confidence to ease social restrictions in a way that is safe for everyone.
Digital contact tracing is much faster than the current manual processes in place. This means that you will be alerted more quickly if you are at risk of having COVID19, which then reduces the chance of you passing it onto your family, friends and wider community.
Over 5 million Australians have already joined the fight against COVID-19 by downloading and registering with COVIDSafe. This is a great effort by our fellow Australians, but your participation in the fight against COVID-19 via COVIDSafe is essential to ensure that you are keeping yourself and your loved ones safe.
How does COVIDSafe Work?
- Downloading and registering with COVIDSafe is simple, safe and extremely important. So, once you have registered, how does it work?
- COVIDSafe uses Bluetooth technology to record who you come into close contact with when out in public who also has the app on their device.
- Your app and the other person’s app will exchange encrypted user IDs (creating a ‘digital handshake’), which cycle every two hours and are deleted after 21 days.
- When someone you have been in contact with has tested positive for COVID19, you will be notified that you may be at risk of having the virus.
- If this happens, it is essential that you self-isolate and get tested in order to protect others in your community and prevent the spread of the virus.
It really is that simple! All you need to do is remember to have your device’s Bluetooth switched on and to keep the COVIDSafe app open (it still works if you lock your phone). COVIDSafe will do the rest in order to keep you and your community safe against COVID-19.
How COVIDSafe Protects Your Privacy
Naturally, there has been some worry surrounding COVIDSafe’s privacy and safety measures. But rest assured, the app is entirely safe to use and privacy risks have been thoroughly addressed by the government here.
To further ease those worries, the COVIDSafe app guarantees to protect your privacy by:
- Being the only contact tracing app approved and endorsed by the Australian Government, meaning that full privacy and safety measures are securely in place to protect your private information.
- Only requiring your name (you can use a fake name if preferred), mobile number (for contact tracing purposes only), post code (to ensure that health officials from your state/territory can contact you) and age range (health officials may need to prioritise cases for contact tracing) for registering purposes.
- Ensuring that your contact data will be protected by an encrypted user ID, which cycles every two hours and is automatically deleted after 21 days. This data is securely stored in the National COVIDSafe data store; a ‘cloud facility’ which has been approved by the government as an appropriate storage centre.
- Guaranteeing that your location data is not recorded or stored at any time.
- Only allowing state and territory health officials to have access to app information if someone tests positive and if they consent to their app information being uploaded. Health officials are only allowed to use the app information to help alert those who may be at risk. The COVIDSafe Administrator is the only ther individual with approved access to certify the integrity, security and functioning of the app.
- Automatically deleting all your information stored on your device if you choose to uninstall COVIDSafe. Further deleting any personal information stored in the data store at your request via a request form.
- Deleting all stored personal user information once the COVID-19 pandemic has been declared over by the Health Minister.
- Enforcing that any attempt to decrypt or access contact data will be treated as a criminal offence.
It is important to remember that the app does not wish to know who you are, but rather whether you are at risk of being infected and further spreading the virus. Its purpose is to save lives and prevent outbreaks in your community, which you can help achieve by registering with COVIDSafe here.
Join the Fight Now
There really is no time better than now to join the fight against COVID-19. COVIDSafe is a powerful tool in the war against the deadly virus and provides you with the ultimate weapon to protect those around you. You have the ability to save lives and protect your family, friends and wider community by registering with COVIDSafe. It is a simple act that will play a massive role in our battle to overcome COVID-19 in Australia. So, let’s get behind COVIDSafe and fight COVID-19 together!
And while you’re installing COVIDSafe, check out our list of Apps designed to combat loneliness during isolation here!