Working to make a real difference
If you’ve been out of the workforce while raising a family, or whether you’re looking for new skills and a new career, there’s an industry that is begging for new people to enter into it.
Mental Health Services in Australia are stretched to the limit. More qualified Mental Health Professionals are needed to take on a variety of roles, and there’s never been a better time to re-train and get started on a Mental Health career.
Do you have what it takes to work in the Mental Health Sector?
A Mental Health Professional will have a particular skill set, and these items may be something you see in your personality. If you already have these personality traits, you may well be suited for a career in Mental Health:
- Empathy: An ability to understand and identify with another person’s experiences
- Listening Skills: Ability to actively listen to people, reflect their thoughts back to them, and be able to remember important events and feelings that they convey to you.
- Social and Communication Skills: The ability to make somebody comfortable around you.
- Boundary Setting: The ability to establish and maintain healthy boundaries with the people they help in treatment.
- Critical Thinking: Skills to make a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan.
What are some roles within Mental Health Services?
There are several different roles working within Mental Health Services, including:
- Clinical or Counselling Psychologist.
- Marriage and Family Therapist.
- Social Worker.
- Psychiatric Nurse or Psychiatrist.
- Mental Health Counsellor
- Drug and alcohol counsellor.
- Youth counsellors.
- Refugee counsellors.
- Suicide and grief counsellors.
You may choose to work within a government organisation, private practise, or within not-for-profit groups.
How to get started
To become a Mental Health Professional, you’ll need to undertake an accredited course, such as the Diploma of Mental Health that is offered by TrainSmart. From this, you will become equipped with knowledge and practical skills to assist and lead people affected by mental illness to get their lives back on track.
To find out more, visit the TrainSmart website.