What is the most effective way to boost your career?
Jun 22, 2015
Category: Career Development
We have the answer to the above question. I am going to give you a moment to think about what one thing will help you get more out of your career……..
Still not sure what it is? Well, I will tell you. If you want to get ahead and be more successful in your job, you need to smile more.
A smile is a simple action but can help boost productivity, happiness, and confidence.
There is a definite correlation between happiness and productivity. Jessica Pryce-Jones author of the book ‘Happiness at Work’ discovered that the happiest employees are:
- 180% more energized
- More than three times more satisfied with their jobs
- Three times happier with life
- More than twice as engaged at work
- Take 66% less sick leave
- 50% more motivated
- 50% more productive than their less happy counterparts.
A happy employee will boost the mood of his or her colleagues and so ‘happy people’ are renowned for being good for teams, especially when that person becomes engaged with customers, clients, and a work team. Smiling is also good for your health too and here’s why:
Smiling can make you happier. The physical act of smiling tells your brain that you’re happy, and so it releases feel-good endorphins.
- Smiling can make others happier. People tend to subconsciously mimic the others around them. So if you’re smiling, chances are your employees will smile more, too.
- Smiling makes you look more attractive. There’s a reason we tell each other to smile in photos; you are most attractive to other people when you’re smiling and looking happy. People tend to want to be around people they find attractive.
- Smiling battles stress. Smiling convinces your brain and body that you’re happy, and your heart rate and breathing start to slow, which can help you combat feelings of stress.
- Smiling makes a good first impression. Psychological studies have shown that people smiling come across as more confident, conscientious and stable which will leave a good lasting impression. Whether you’re interviewing for a job, networking, or trying to make a sale. Smiling also makes you seem more successful.
So don’t knock a smile and certainly don’t frown at one! Our career officers will be happy to speak to you over the phone, email via Skype or in person. If you are short on time we can give you free career advice online.