Why work experience counts
Feb 04, 2016
Category: Career Development
I was lucky enough to land a job as soon as I completed my course, I literally finished my studies on a Friday and started my first full-time job on Monday. What’s more, I managed to secure this role when there was an economic downturn. It was 1991 and jobs were scarce and hard to find.
Why was I so successful? I put it down to my work placement as I’d already done voluntary work for the company who offered me this role. You should not underestimate the power of work experience. It really does open doors and gives you a chance to find out more about how a company operates. More importantly, it helps you to network. If you shine in your role, the managers will remember you – if a role comes up which needs filling, you may be at the forefront of their mind.
Sometimes work experience or paid placements are incorporated into a course or diploma. It will give you a terrific insight into how an industry works. It will be beneficial to put on your CV as well. There is very clear evidence that employers value people who can demonstrate some form of relevant work experience.
Research has also shown that placement students go on to achieve higher grades and better qualifications which ultimately means they progress up the career ladder far quicker.
Here are my top tips for making the most out of your work experience/work placement:
- Don’t be a wallflower, take an interest in what is going on around you
- Offer to help whenever you can
- Speak to your colleagues, introduce yourself and tell them about your studies, career hopes, and aspirations
- Try to establish if there will be any future job openings within the organisation and get a named contact who deals with recruitment
- Before you leave, ask if a supervisor or manager if they can act as a referee and try to get some feedback on what you have achieved during the placement
Here at TrainSmart Australia, we offer a variety of diploma courses approved by industry bodies. If you are an Australian citizen they can be accessed through VET STUDENT LOAN. Some of our courses such as the Diploma of Project Management or Diploma of Human Resource Management can be studied online. Call us now to find out more.