Certificate II in Retail Cosmetics (SHB20116)
This Certificate II in Retail Cosmetics (SHB20116) will help you to become a professional in cosmetics sales. You’ll use the skills and expertise you’ll gain from the course to be able to give the right advice to clients on which beauty and cosmetic products would suit their individual needs.
It’s one thing to be able to give your friends, family or colleagues make-up tips, but it’s on another level of expertise to use your creative eye to recommend make-up to suit each individual that walks through the door. With each person having their own unique look and features, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to cosmetics – so your approach to selling cosmetics shouldn’t be either.
Once you’ve completed the course, you’ll have the knowledge and skills to not only effectively sell beauty and cosmetic products, but also to demonstrate their effectiveness to potential clients.
Should I enroll?
This 6 month course is a perfect fit for you if you enjoy applying make-up and making people look and feel good. It’s also a great fit if you’re already working in retail and want to focus on selling beauty and cosmetic products.
What will I learn?
- How to advise clients on beauty products and services
- How to design and apply make-up
- How to pierce earlobes and apply eyelash extensions
- How to receive and handle retail stock
- How to produce effective visual merchandise displays
- How to sell products to a retail customer
What are the entry requirements?
This qualification is suited to learners who possess a sufficient grasp of the English language, adequate levels of numeracy, and appropriate attitude and motivation to enable them to undertake the demands of a Certificate II level qualification.
As part of the selection process, TSA uses the following guidelines to assess suitability of a learner for the program:
- All prospective learners will attend a mandatory face to face career counselling session to assess their suitability for this Certificate II level qualification;
- During this session, TSA’s career advisors reference the career counselling and/or Capacity of Benefit notes to summarise their thoughts on whether to proceed with enrolment or not, based on the interview/conversation. This is then retained in the learner record file;
- All learners are required to undertake an LLN assessment appropriate for a Certificate II level qualification to assess whether their reading and numeracy skills are sufficient to cope with the training program. The LLN assessment result will be retained in their learner record file;
- In addition, TSA must reasonably believe the learner is academically suited to undertake the course e.g. employment history and/or prior education/qualifications.
What are my career prospects?
As a qualified professional in retail cosmetics, you’ll be able to work for any business that sells beauty or cosmetic products and services. These can include:
- Beauty salons
- Hairdressing salons
- Retail outlets
- Department stores
Cost of this course
- Jobs&Skills WA funding for WA residents (Perth)
JOBS & SKILLS WA Government subsidised total course fee*: $1992
*Must meet eligibility criteria to qualify. Additional fees may apply such as student services and resource fees. Student tuition fees are indicative only and are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Western Australian government program.
Units of Study
BSBWHS201 Contribute to health and safety of self and others
SHBBCCS001 Advise on beauty products and services
SHBBMUP002 Design and apply make-up
SHBXCCS001 Conduct salon financial transactions
SHBXCCS004 Recommend products and services
SHBXIND001 Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment
SHBXIND002 Communicate as part of a salon team
SIRRMER001 Produce visual merchandise displays
SIRXIND003 Organise personal work requirements
SIRXSLS001 Sell to the retail customer
BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
ICTWEB201 Use social media tools for collaboration and engagement
SHBBRES001 Research and apply beauty industry information
SIRRINV001 Receive and handle retail stock
SHBHDES005 Select and apply hair extensions
Want to take your studies to the next level? Enquire today about our Diploma of Beauty Therapy