Certificate IV in Mental Health (CHC43315)
Almost half of all Australians will experience a mental illness in their lifetime. This figure is growing – and, in response, so is the demand for mental health workers to help address this national crisis.
The Certificate IV in Mental Health (CHC43315) will equip you with the skills to help people touched by mental illness get their lives back on track, while opening the door to plenty of job opportunities in this challenging and rewarding field.
And because the Jobs & Skills WA recognises the demand in this area, this nationally recognised course is heavily subsidised under their Jobs & Skills WA program – meaning you’ll be on your way to a fulfilling new career without having to worry about the costs involved.
Should I enrol?
This course is for you if you’re passionate about helping improve the lives of those experiencing mental illness.
What will I learn?
- The knowledge and skills to support, communicate and work with individuals experiencing mental health issues;
- How to promote social, emotional and physical wellbeing;
- How to respond to critical situations;
- Intervention strategies;
- How best to support those at risk.
How will I learn?
This course is delivered via face-to-face training for JSWA students. For non JSWA students all learning resources will be available online. A trainer will be assigned to guide and support you throughout your studies, and will be able to offer help and advice.
This qualification requires the completion of 15 units, including assignments. You’ll be required to undertake a mandatory work placement of at least 80 hours, which will give you valuable experience in the sector.
You’ll also be assigned a trainer to guide and support you through your studies.
What are the entry requirements?
This qualification is suited to learners who possess a sufficient grasp of the English language, adequate levels of numeracy, and appropriate attitude and motivation to enable them to undertake the demands of a Certificate IV level qualification.
As part of the selection process, TSA uses the following guidelines to assess suitability of a learner for the program:
- All prospective learners will attend a mandatory face to face career counselling session to assess their suitability for this Certificate IV level qualification;
- During this session, TSA’s career advisors reference the career counselling and/or Capacity of Benefit notes to summarise their thoughts on whether to proceed with enrolment or not, based on the interview/conversation. This is then retained in the learner record file;
- All learners are required to undertake an LLN assessment appropriate for a Certificate IV level qualification to assess whether their reading and numeracy skills are sufficient to cope with the training program. The LLN assessment result will be retained in their learner record file;
- In addition, TSA must reasonably believe the learner is academically suited to undertake the course e.g. employment history and/or prior education/qualifications.
What are my career prospects?
The widespread shortage of mental health workers means there is a strong demand for people qualified in this field. Types of roles available include outreach worker, community worker and mental health worker. Upon the completion of Certificate IV in Mental Health you will also be well placed to undertake further study.
Cost of this course $4000
- Upfront payment fully self-funded OR payment plans are available over 6 months.
- JSWA funding available for WA residents
Concession Fee: $718*
The following students are entitled to the concession rate on course fees:
- Persons and dependants of persons holding:
i) A Pensioner Concession Card
ii) A Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
iii) A Health Care Card
2. Persons and dependants of persons in receipt of AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY.
3. Persons and dependants of persons in receipt of the Youth Allowance.
4. Persons and dependants of persons who are inmates of a custodial institution.
5. Secondary school-aged persons, not enrolled at school.
If the concession is valid for the full enrolment period, then all eligible units commenced within that period attract the concession rate. If the concession is valid for part of the enrolment period, then only eligible units commenced on or after the start date and prior to the expiry of the concession attract the concession rate.
Concessions are not available for existing worker traineeships.
Non-concession Fee: $2,405*
The standard student course fee applies to students not undertaking an apprenticeship or traineeship, or who do not qualify for a concession or exemption.
Accountable officers may waive all fees and charges for students that they assess as being in severe financial hardship. Whether a student is in severe financial hardship is to be determined on a case by case basis by TrainSmart Australia.
Fee Payment Options
Upfront payment fully self-funded OR payment plans are available over 8 months.
*Student tuition fees are indicative only and are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Additional fees may apply such as student services and resource fees.
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCMHS002 Establish self-directed recovery relationships
CHCMHS003 Provide recovery oriented mental health services
CHCMHS004 Work collaboratively with the care network and other services
CHCMHS005 Provide services to people with co-existing mental health and alcohol and other drugs issues
CHCMHS007 Work effectively in trauma informed care
CHCMHS008 Promote and facilitate self advocacy
CHCMHS011 Assess and promote social, emotional and physical wellbeing
HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
CHCCCS019 Recognise and respond to crisis situations
CHCAOD001 Work in an alcohol and other drugs context
CHCCCS017 Provide loss and grief support
CHCDFV001 Recognise and respond appropriately to domestic and family violence
Want to take your studies in mental health to the next level? Enquire today about our CHC52015 Diploma of Mental Health.