Diploma of Counselling
Counselling counts. Support, care and restore
There’s a growing demand for people who can offer support services to adults and teenagers who may need guidance and support to lead a more fulfilling, happier life so they can reach their full potential. Counselling is a very rewarding career and extremely satisfying.
The Diploma of Counselling will equip you with the knowledge and understanding to provide professional help to diverse groups and individuals and make a real difference to someone’s life.
What you will learn
You will learn skills and techniques which you can implement in a career that offers support to people from varied backgrounds. Subjects include responding to crisis situations, developing and facilitating a counselling relationship, working with diverse people and helping those who have suffered from grief or trauma.
How you will study
Assessments are by way of written assignments and have a practical component. You will receive dedicated trainer team support throughout your studies. The Diploma requires 40 hours of work placement in an appropriate organisation. The RTO assists to identify a suitable organisation or the student may nominate an organisation of their choice.
Learning is online, but you will be expected to attend mandatory mobile workshops within your state. To complete the course you will need to complete six of these mobile workshops. TrainSmart Australia will give you advance notice so you can make necessary arrangements to ensure you are able to participate. We can help you to find a hotel if you are coming from a distance. The workshops will be one or two days long and will enrich your study experience.
What are your career options with a Diploma of Counselling?
This course enables you to work in a variety of settings providing counselling services to others. You can also find employment in community or family support organisations and within government support services.
Student entry requirements
TrainSmart Australia will assess a students’ ‘academic suitability’ to ensure the student has the best chance of success. This is determined by either:-
- The student providing TrainSmart Australia with a copy of an Australian year 12 Certificate or
- The student providing TrainSmart Australia with a copy of a Certificate IV qualification (or above) or,
- The student completing the Core Skills Profile for Adults online assessment passing at or above Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy.
Cost of this course
The maximum tuition fee for this course is $10,000. Your fee payment options are:
- 24 month interest-free payment plan. No deposit, no interest to pay for 24 months.
- VET Study Loan – Australian Government income contingent loan which allows you to study now and pay later.
- Jobs & Skills WA (Perth) Course Fee $9185 Student Fee $5414 (for non-concession) for those residing in Western Australia. Student tuition fees are indicative only and are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Additional fees may apply such as student services and resource fees. Mandatory face to face training of 3 to 4 days a month is required.
|CHCLEG001||Work legally and ethically|
|CHCCSL001||Establish and confirm the counselling relationship|
|CHCCSL006||Select and use counselling therapies|
|CHCCSL003||Facilitate the counselling relationship and process|
|CHCCSL005||Apply learning theories in counselling|
|CHCCSL002||Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills|
|CHCCSL004||Research and apply personality and development theories|
|CHCCSM005||Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management|
|CHCDIV002||Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety|
|CHCCCS019||Recognise and respond to crisis situations|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|CHCDFV006||Counsel clients affected by domestic and family violence|
|CHCMHS013||Implement trauma informed care|
|CHCCCS017||Provide loss and grief support|
|CHCGRP002||Plan and conduct group activities|
|CHCCSL007||Support counselling clients in decision-making processes|
Membership of the TrainSmart Australia student portal in which you will receive updates on class status, new facilities, promotions and social media updates.