Fair Treatment and Equal Opportunity Policy
TrainSmart Australia is committed to providing fair treatment and equal opportunity for all individuals by ensuring that its programs and services are relevant, accessible, fair and inclusive.
This policy applies to all students and prospective students, including those entitled to VET Student Loan assistance.
Access and Equity
TrainSmart Australia is committed to providing a working and learning environment that values diversity, respects differences and is free from all forms of harassment, vilification and discrimination based on an individual’s sex, race, disability, sexual preference, age, political beliefs, or criminal record.
TrainSmart Australia will further endeavour to eliminate policies, practices, assumptions and behaviours which may contribute to the disadvantages suffered by under-represented groups both in education and employment.
Fair Treatment and Equal Opportunity
TrainSmart Australia will ensure that all students and potential students, including those entitled to VET Student Loan:
- Will be treated fairly and equally;
- Will be assessed for eligibility to study through published course outlines and the same open, fair and transparent selection process, based on merit.
The above undertakings do not prevent the RTO from taking into account when making decisions about the selection and treatment of students, educational disadvantages that a particular student has experienced.
Course outlines, entry criteria and application procedures are published in the TrainSmart Program brochures/marketing materials and on the website for the information of students and those seeking to enrol with TrainSmart Australia.
Prospective students undertake a 1:1 interview with a customer support officer. The interview may be conducted by telephone, Skype or in person and enables assessment of a student’s ability to meet the following entry requirements:
- The student’s completion of Senior Secondary Education (Year 12) in Australia, where the student has been awarded a successful completion credential by an agency or authority of a State or Territory
- The student’s willingness to participate in a reading and numeracy test where they must display competence at or above Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF); and
- TrainSmart Australia reasonably believes that the student displays that competence.
- The student’s completion of a Certificate IV qualification (or above) where the student has been awarded a credential issued under the Australian Qualifications Frameworks; and
- The course for the qualification was delivered in English.
TrainSmart Australia will ensure that throughout the selection process, students are treated fairly, courteously and expeditiously.
TrainSmart Australia will endeavour to:
- Promote programs and services to the community in a manner that includes and reflects the diverse student population.
- Ensure that all potential students are well informed on available course options, training and assessment services provided by the RTO to enable them to make an informed decision about the suitability of the course and the RTO to meet their individual training needs.
- Ensure that all potential students who are eligible for funding under government programs or loan schemes, such as VET Student Loans are advised of this prior to enrolment.
- Ensure that each student receives clear information prior to enrolment, during a mandatory interview with a customer support officer, in regard to:
- Entry and LLN requirements;
- Published course information;
- Enrolment and induction procedures;
- Educational and vocational outcomes;
- Fees and refunds;
- Student support services;
- Flexible learning and assessment procedures;
- Recognition of prior learning arrangements and credit transfer;
- Complaints and appeals procedures;
- Students’ rights, responsibilities and student-related policies and procedures.
This Fair Treatment and Equal Opportunity Policy will be made available to students and potential students on the TrainSmart website and in the Student Handbook.
All staff members are informed of this policy during their induction process and the information is made available in writing within the Employee Handbook. All staff members are responsible for observing the guidelines stated in this policy.
|Students||Student/s refers to all persons enrolled in a unit of study (including those who are or would be entitled to VET Student Loans assistance under clause 43 of Schedule 1A of the Higher Education Support Act).|
Potential students refers to all persons seeking to enrol in a VET unit of study that meets the course requirements under subclause 45(1) of Schedule 1A of the Higher Education Support Act (including those who are, or would be, entitled to a VET Student Loan under clause 43 of Schedule 1A of the Act).
|Equity||Equity focuses on outcomes. Equity is not concerned with treating people in the same way; it is concerned with ensuring that all groups of people participate and benefit to the same level.|
Access and Equity
|Discrimination||Discrimination refers to unfair treatment based on personal characteristics such as: sex, race, (including colour, nationality, descent, ethnic or ethno-religious background), disability (actual or perceived, past, present or future), sexual preference (actual or perceived), age, political beliefs, criminal record or careers’ responsibilities.|
|Harassment||Harassment includes all forms of offensive or unwelcome physical or verbal conduct that interferes with an employee’s work or creates an offensive or hostile working environment. In general, harassment is any form of behaviour that you:|
|Disadvantaged groups||The following groups have traditionally have been under-represented in Vocational Education and Training (VET):|
|Legislative Obligations||Commonwealth Racial Discrimination Act 1975; Commonwealth Sex Discrimination Act 1984; Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992; Commonwealth Racial Hatred Act 1995; Disability Services Act 2006; Higher Education Support Act 2003|
This policy is approved by the CEO of TrainSmart Australia RTO code 51771.